Wireless LTE Traffic Signal Control System Using IoT technology for all crossroads in Gunpo-city South Korea
|Wireless(LTE) Traffic Signal Control System Using IoT technology for all crossroads, Gunpo-city, South Korea|
|Team Members||Gunpo Police Station, EASY TRAFFIC, DELI-i|
|Point of Contact||Min Kim|
|Participating Municipalities||Gunpo City, South Korea|
|Status||Ready for Public Announcement|
The Gunpo City traffic signal system was created with a voluntary idea, based on the experience of operating a traffic information system and with the application of the latest IT technology trend. Thus, we have prepared a stepping stone for the provision of traffic signal information to the private sector in the era of automated vehicles of the 4th Industrial Revolution which had not felt concrete until now.
Traffic signals are also not up-to-date, since it is not possible to be aware of a situation - such as an accident caused by the signal system, a mass breakdown of traffic signals, or an open signal controller door - before it is reported.
If traffic signals are provided to the private sector, traffic accidents can be prevented since automated vehicles will be able to accurately perceive traffic signal information. In addition, we will be able to know when and where the green signal will be on, which will give rise to many startups in various areas (like finding the short-cut), ultimately leading to the creation of numerous jobs.
- In September 2015, starting with the consultation with Gunpo Police Station
- The traffic signal master plan was established in February 2016
- March 2016, it passed the security examination of the National Intelligence Service, and we embarked on the full-scale project.
- In December 2016, we established a traffic signal wireless system for the first time in the nation
- November 2017, we created the foundation for taking a leap forward in our city’s traffic signal system by connecting the traffic signal information with the National Police Agency
|Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)||Measurement Methods|
Standards, Replicability, Scalability, and Sustainability
- Global Standards compliant smart city platform
- Apply Artificial Intelligence algorithm
- Wireless Communications : LTE and 5G communications
- Gunpo City further expanded the project to more intersections and is on-going
- Korean Local government is planning project expansion
Cybersecurity and Privacy
- Korean Local government is planning project expansion Wireless(LTE) Traffic Signal Control System Using IoT technology
- Wireless(LTE) security is based on complementary systems, technologies, and features applied to the implementation of the signal system based on the wireless network
- We conceived an integrated control system for an effective operation of traffic signals and we prepared for the hacking of wireless communication with a three-layer security measure.(SSL VPN, Firewall, Server security solution)
- We completed the ‘Security Education for Local Government Personnel’ carried out by the NIS
- Such increase in travel speed and decrease in delay time can be converted into economic value: vehicle operation cost reduced by 29 billion won, air pollution cost by 85 billion won, and time value by 9.2 billion won. There is an economic benefit of a total of 123.2 billion won per year, according to the analysis.
- Furthermore, the establishment cost for the existing communications network construction will be about 5 million won per site; however, wireless communication only costs 16,500 won per month, saving a budget of 650 million won in total.
Real-time working application tied into city dispatch systems at city-wide scale, supporting over 50% of the city. Demonstration will include a simulated emergency event and the measurement of response time with and without the proposed solution.